I wish I had taken a picture of last night’s dinner…..it was SO DELICIOUS! It was a “dump and go” type meal, but oh so very delicious!
Lori’s “Mediterranean Chicken”
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces or 3 leg quarters cut into legs & thighs
- 1/2 jar spaghetti sauce or 1 15-oz can tomato sauce (add 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. italian seasoning, 2 cloves of garlic and black pepper to taste)
- 1 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2-3 tsp. dried parsley
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 small onion finely chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
- feta cheese
In very hot dutch oven, brown both sides of all of the pieces of the chicken in extra virgin olive oil and remove to plate or side pan to assemble sauce. Reduce heat in dutch oven and add onion, cook to just translucent, add remaining ingredients EXCEPT for feta cheese. Once those are well combined and you have checked the seasoniong, nestle the chicken pieces back into the sauce. Add 1/2-3/4 cup water to bring sauce almost up to the top of all of the pieces of the chicken. Cover with very tight fitting lid and let simmer over medium low heat for 30 minutes. Just enough time to make some rice :).
For each plate I put a serving of rice, a serving of chicken, ladeled some of the sauce with the olives over the rice and the chicken, and sprinkled both with feta cheese. Served with veggie and salad. This was absolutely delicious and really and truly was a pantry dinner! I used up some of the bits and pieces of things that were floating around in my pantry and my fridge! I love meals like that.