This morning one of the portions of Scripture that I read was a Psalm, and it was basically a list of why the Psalm writer loved the Lord. As we transition from the Thanksgiving season to the season of Advent and waiting for the coming of our Savior, I thought it would be a great way to transition.
Psalm 116 I love the Lord, because he has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy. Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live. The snares of death encompassed me; the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me; I suffered distress and anguish. Then I called on the name of the Lord; “O Lord, I pray, deliver my soul!” Gracious is the Lord, and righteous; our God is merciful. The Lord preserves the simple; when I was brought low, he saved me. Return, O my soul, to your rest; for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you. For you have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling; I will walk before the Lord in the land of the living. I believed even when I spoke, “I am greatly afflicted”; I said in my alarm, “All mankind are liars.” What shall I render to the Lord for all his benefits to me? I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord, I will pay my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people. Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints. O Lord, I am your servant; I am your servant, the son of your maidservant. You have loosed my bonds. I will offer to you the sacrifice of thanksgiving and call on the name of the Lord. I will pay my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people, in the courts of the house of the Lord, in your midst, O Jerusalem. Praise the Lord!
As we transition from the Thanksgiving season to the Advent season, I want to share, in a prayerful way, why I love the Lord. In my adult years I have become a list maker, and what a great list to make (certainly not an exhaustive list, and my prayer is that I would continue to add to this list in my heart, and in my personal journaling).
Won’t you join me in making a list (written or otherwise) of why you love the Lord?
I love the Lord because……
- You delivered me from the miry pit of sin
- You delivered me from myself and my own (sometimes) self-destructive ways
- You loved me with a love that no one has ever loved me
- You see past my outside and my sins, to the heart that loves and is tender
- You deal with me very tenderly, even in my sin
- You are the Abba that I never had growing up
- You held the hand of the little girl that used to cry out to you from my bed when I was too little to know what a relationship with God was…..I just knew I needed something much bigger than myself.
- You have given me a life that I could have never imagined in my growing up years….a husband that loves me with all of his heart and that I love with all of mine, children that love You and love one another, and love others like You love them, and a church home that is warm, inviting, and teaches your word unashamed and without any filters.
- You have blessed me with friends that are beyond amazing!
- You have mercy with me when I’m floundering
- You bring me out of my low places and set me upon high places to minister to my heart.
- You allow me to “live in the valley” sometimes in order to appreciate the highs and the lows.
- You sent Your Son to die on a cross 2000 years ago for MY sin! And offered me the most precious gift that a girl could ever ask for. Eternal live with you. THANK YOU LORD!!!!