This was an amazing dinner that we made this past week. The original recipe came from “Saving Dinner: The Menus, Recipes, and Shopping lists to Bring Your Family Back to the Table” by Leanne Ely. I adapted the recipe slightly to fit our family’s needs better. Below you will find my adapted version…..it very comfortably fed 6 with good sized appetites, you might be able to feed 8 if you have younger children that eat smaller portions.
Chicken Pasta with Artichokes
- 1 pound uncooked whole wheat rotini pasta
- 6 1/2 oz. jar marinated artichokes, undrained
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced (you could use regular white mushrooms)
- 1 clove garlic,finely chopped
- 12 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (or apple juice)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- salt & pepper to taste
Cook and drain pasta as directed on package. Drain liquid from artichokes into 10–inch skillet; heat over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in liquid for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in mushrooms and garlic. Cook about 4 minutes or so, stirring occasionally, until chicken is light brown and no longer pink. Stir in artichokes and peppers.
In a medium bowl, mix broth, wine, and cornstarch together until well blended. Gradually stir in the broth mixture into the chicken mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute, till thickened. Toss with pasta, adjust seasoning with salt & pepper to taste. Serve.
I served this with grilled asparagus and a big green salad.
There was a little bit leftover, so I had it for lunch the next day. It was even good cold 🙂 And the 18 month old little boy that was visiting us loved it! 🙂