I made these for tonight’s dinner. When I looked at the recipe initially, I just wasn’t very sure about it. But I haven’t been dissatisfied with any of the recipes from “Saving Dinner” by Leanne Ely yet, so I thought “I’ll give it a try and see how it turns out”…..let me tell you, this was phenomenal! If you like asian flavors, I can almost guarantee you’ll enjoy this one! The best part of this is that you could adapt this recipe to use shredded chicken, or grilled chicken pieces, ground turkey or chicken…..or even beef strips. I did have to adapt it slightly to work with the amount of meat that I had, as well as to get to the right consistency. I will type out the recipe as it is printed in the book, and put my changes in ( ).
While I’m talking about this book, if you are a busy cook or just need help with menu planning, or are wanting to cook seasonally to include fresh local and seasonal produce this is a great system and book! Leanne encourages the home chef to use healthy, minimally processed foods, and to fill up on veggies and whole grains. I’ve had the blessed opportunity to work with her on a limited basis with some recipe testing, and was on a real (whole) foods cooking forum online with her for a while. She is also widely known through the FlyLady newsletters and daily emails.
Ok, here’s the recipe 🙂
Asian Burritos with Ginger Salsa
- 3/4 pound extra lean ground beef (1.3# grass fed ground beef)
- 1 cup oats
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons water (I used an additional 1/3-1/2 cup of water to get a sauce like consistency like you would with taco meat)
- 1/8 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (I use the big burrito sized multi-grain tortillas/sandwich wraps)
- 2 cups shredded cabbage (red or green)
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- plum sauce, optional (we didn’t use this)
- Mix together the following:
- 1 large tomato (1 cup), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped gingerroot (I used the jarred ginger)
Prepare Ginger Salsa. Then, in a skillet, cook ground beef till browned. Drain and blot up any remaining grease with paper towels. Stir in oats till well incorporated, then add hoisin sauce, water, soy sauce, and cayenne pepper. Let simmer a few minutes till well blended.
Warm tortillas and fill each tortilla with beef mixture. Top with cabbage and carrot and ginger salsa. Serve with plum sauce and wrap, burrito-style.
I served this with fried rice (using leftover rice pilaf) and an asian slaw that I made using this week’s produce from out CSA.