Tonight I made a marinara sauce to go with our pasta (will share the recipe in a bit because it was something that was WONDERFUL and the family really loved it!). Anyhow, I made sure I measured everything out and got it delicious so that I could share this recipe with a dear young friend that has a little angel with dietary restrictions. She has been using the packets of seasoning mix for spaghetti sauce, and she can’t use them anymore. SO, here’s what I made tonight…..it was DELICIOUS, and H declared it the best spaghetti sauce I’ve ever made 🙂
Quick & Easy Marinara Sauce with Mushrooms
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 5 mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth (I prefer wine, it gives a nice sweetness)
- 1 15oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 medium bay leaf (approx. 1 1/2 inches long by about 3/4 inch wide)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
In a 3 quart sauce pan, saute onions, garlic & mushrooms until onions are translucent and mushrooms are soft. Add white wine and let cook at high heat until the wine is reduced to approx. 2 tablespoons (you should BARELY be able to see any moisture in the veggies), add diced tomatoes and let simmer until most of the juice is evaporated, add 2 cans of tomato sauce, bay leaf, basil & oregano. Reduce heat to low and simmer very lightly for 15 minutes. Check seasoning and add salt & pepper if necessary before serving.
This was simple and was ready to serve in about 30 minutes.