Tonight I made this pasta dish for dinner. The original version (I’ll put my modifications in ( ) ) is from “Saving Dinner: The Menus, Recipes, and Shopping Lists to Bring Your Family Back to the Table” by Leanne Ely .
The whole family gave this recipe rave reviews and want it again!
Spinach Pasta Casserole
from Saving Dinner byLeanne Ely
- 10 ounces fusilli pasta (16 oz. whole wheat rotini pasta)
- 1 egg
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 10 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed & drained
- 1/2 cup italian bread crumbs (I used 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs with 1 teaspoon italian seasoning)
- 39 oz. spaghetti sauce (I used one recipe of my homemade sauce )
- 6 oz part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 oz. romano cheese, grated (5 oz. container parmesan/romano cheese)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook pasta in well salted water until al dente. Drain andput in a very big bowl. In a small bowl combine egg and olive oil. Add the egg mixture, spinach and bread crumbs to the pasta. Mix together well.
In a 13 inch by 9 inch baking dish, place 1/2 of the spaghetti sauce. Add 1/2 of the pasta mixture, sprinkle half the cheeses. Then place the 2nd layers of spaghetti sauce, pasta, and then the rest of the cheeses.
Bake for 35-45 minutes or until bubbly and slightly browned on top.