I made this for dinner this past week and was reminded just why I love this so much! I did accidentally overseason the soup, and had to add 2 cups of water to help with adjusting the seasoning….after I did that, it was perfect and not too spicy 🙂
Broccoli Cheese Chowder
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced (the same size as the onions)
- 2 stalks celery, diced(yep, same size :))
- 1 large potato, peeled & diced (I used a yukon gold potato and didn’t peel it and it was fine, but if you are using potatoes with a thicker skin, you’ll definitely want to peel)
- 2 cloves, minced
- 1 very rounded tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning (like Emeril’sEssence or Tony Chachere’s)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 14-oz cans low sodium chicken broth
- 8 oz. broccoli crowns (stems & flowers chopped relatively small, keep stems & florettes seperate)
- 1 cup shredded (reduced fat, if possible) sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- salt & pepper to taste
In a large dutch oven or a large saucepan over medium-high heat add onion, carrot & celery; cook, stirring often until the onion and celery soften (adding a tablespoon of water or chicken stock as necessary to keep the veg from burning). Addpotato and garlic, cook for 2 minutes stirring often. Stir in flour, creole seasoning and dry mustard and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
Add broth & broccoli stems and bring to a boil. Cover and let simmer over medium to medium low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Using an immersion blender, or removing 1/2 of the mixture to your blender to puree it. Add back to pot and add broccoli florets, cover and simmer until the broccoli is tender (stirring occasionally) approx. another 10 minutes.
Stir in the cheese & sour cream and cook over medium low heat, stirring until the cheese is completely melted and the sour cream is thoroughly incorporated. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Serve.